I recently became part of a private Facebook group appropriately titled, The Greatest Wealth is Health. The human body is an exceptional biological machine with many systems working together to allow for life. Yet it is the one thing we take for granted. Without good health what good will money, career and family do you? You have to be around to enjoy these other riches.
The FB group aims at doing one task daily to improve your health. Whether it is mindfulness, eating healthier or exercising. These all contribute to a healthy heart. The challenge is to commit to a 13-week journey where you will perform at least one of these tasks everyday. For me, the goal is to go beyond the 13 weeks and make it a lifelong commitment. The best way I know how to keep this commitment is through food.
Heart Healthy Salmon, Spinach and Sweet Yam Stew
Salmon is low in mercury in comparison to other fish and contains important protein and unsaturated fats. Like many other dark leafy greens, spinach is high in vitamins. It is one of the most nutritious foods available and is an excellent promoter of cardiovascular health. Yams are rich in vitamin B6, which helps reduce levels of cholesterol in the blood. This is what I refer to as the trifecta of heart health.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cubanelle pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound sweet potato, cubed
- 1 pound salmon, skin removed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1-8 ounce bag fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
- In a deep pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Then add cubanelle pepper and garlic. Sauté for one additional minute. Add tomato paste and mix until well combined.
- Next, pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Then add salt, sweet potato and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add salmon and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and stir in fresh spinach and red pepper flakes.
- Divide into bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Find more delicious recipes here!